Friday, January 30, 2009

Oscars part 3

Best Director:

Danny Boyle
Slumdog Millionare

Gus Van Sant
Milk

David Fincher
The Curious Case of Bejamin Button

Stephen Daldry
The Reader

Ron Howard
Frost/Nixon

I believe that Danny Boyle will be getting his due for the fantastic and inspirational "Slumdog Millionaire". He directed a story that could have easily been a sentimental weepie and made it a high energy, inspirational Dickens meets Bollywood affair. He bravely avoids sentiment except when absolutely necessary and instead finds humour and spirit in even the most dire situations. The making of "Slumdog Millionaire" itself would make good film itself. A film goes from almost straight to DVD to number 4 at the box office and 10 Oscar nominations! I speak little of the other directors in this category due to the fact that none of the other films impressed me much. Although I would have loved to see Johnathan Deme given credit for "Rachel Getting Married".

Predict-Danny Boyle

Fave-Danny Boyle

Snub-Johnathan Deme



Best Original Screenplay

Frozen River
Courtney Hunt

Happy Go Lucky
Mike Leigh

In Bruges
Martin McDonagh

Wall-E
Andrew Stanton, Jim Reardon

Milk
Dustin Lance Black

Wall-E will win in this category. If only because it was snubbed for best picture and resigned to the "Best Animated Feature" category. I haven't seen wall-E but i have heard it is wonderful. I myself am a little sad that we went from half the nominees being female last year to only one this year. Oh well there is always next year. In my heart I want my favorite playwright Martin McDonagh to win because I love his plays and the dialogue in "In Bruges" was hilarious and insanely quotable. Milk could manage an upset but I don't think it should due to it's monotony and excessive conventionality.

No comments: